Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Outer Banks - The Whalehead Club

When my daughter and I decided to take our little trip to the Outer Banks, I googled "top 10 things to do in the Outer Banks".  The number one thing that showed up was Whalehead Club  I was giddy with excitement when I saw the picture of the beautiful art nouveau-style home.  I love history and architecture and I have an absolute love affair with all things Art Nouveau.  We decided to take the self-guided tour of the interior of the home since we figured we most likely would never make it back to this remote location.  Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photographs inside the home.  The interior was quite sterile - the floors were covered with cork tiles that were actually quite functional since it was originally built as a hunt club. But great attention was paid to detail - light fixtures, moldings, door handles, and furniture were all art nouveau.  A Steinway grand piano was even expressly made with the same styling.  This truly is the "crown jewel" of the Northern Outer Banks.








 View of house from boathouse...

Boathouse with Currituck Lighthouse in Background... 



to be continued...





No comments:

Post a Comment